Chicken Coop Rehab: Part 2

19 Jul

So we got a bit of work done on the old chicken coop, but it needed some more help before it could get back to it’s old job of housing chickens.

130712-IMG_20130712_104537

The back wall of the coop was in particularly bad shape. You could see daylight though the wall, and it was even worse from the outside.

130714-IMG_20130714_171750

There wasn’t a single intact stud in the back wall, they were all completely rotted off.
Not good.
That means that there was nothing on the back wall to bear any of the weight of the structure.

130714-IMG_20130714_164250

The back wall was jacked up with a hydraulic jack on the main beam, and the sill plate was replaced.

130714-IMG_20130714_171816

The lower 2-3′ of rotted stud was cut off, and new studs were scabbed on.

130716-IMG_20130716_115246

With a bit of flashing and some engineered-wood siding, the wall was sealed back up.

130716-IMG_20130716_115332

And then the painting began.
The painting is still a work in progress, as we had a few other things that were higher priorities.

130716-IMG_20130716_121157

Like moving over a few feeders, roosts, mega-waterers, nestboxes and chickens.

They sure seem to enjoy the extra elbow-room, but we still had a small problem.
There just weren’t enough nestboxes for the number of chickens we have. There are supposed to be one box per 4 hens, and we had an 8-hole nestbox for just over 40 hens. Figure in the 30 pullets who should start laying in a few months, and we were facing a serious nestbox shortage.

130719-IMG_20130719_203239

The new 16-hole rear-rollout nestbox should do the trick. Now we’ve got enough boxes for 100 hens.

130719-IMG_20130719_203250

More eggs are on the way!

One Response to “Chicken Coop Rehab: Part 2”

  1. Derek July 20, 2013 at 7:53 am #

    Solid work!

Leave a Reply